Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Almost a week in

We are nearly a week in!

At this stage I have only implimented one to one devices to reading and writing, and BOY is it taking a long time to set up!

We have spent the majority of our time, sorting out how we get to our computers and how we look after them when are using them and how we put them away. I have devised a system that seemed like a good idea at the time, and I suppose could end up being one. However, it has been fairly tedious to start up. I have split the class in to 4 groups and given each group a leader. I spent an afternoon training the leaders how to put away each device and charger. Most of our lessons thus far have been getting in to the habit of going up to get the devices one group at a time, getting the same laptop each time and putting it away in the same space each time.

I am hoping that eventually, this will become second nature to the children. I am crossing my fingers that all of the time we are spending on this organisation won't be for nothing!

Apart from this, we are logging in quickly and able to access our work easily. The students are picking up on typing and editing skills quickly as well, and planning/organising our work is happening much quicker than it was when it was done by hand.

From a teachers point of view, it's great! Being able to check and comment on a students work as they write or even from home has been fantastic. Hapara is a wonderful tool, which allows me to navigate the students work quickly - I definitely feel like 'big brother'!

Anyway, despite the initial set up frustrations I feel like things are going smoothly. At least for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment